I started writing poetry in eighth grade. Years prior, I absolutely hated it. Two weeks into eighth grade, I loved it. I’ve had several notebooks filled with my chicken scratch stanzas and line breaks ever since. Since I came to Champlain, I discovered that I had a passion, love, and appreciation for poetry that ran deeper beneath my flesh than I thought it could. Sometimes, I tend to think that poetic words run through my veins. Next year, I will be taking Advanced Poetry with Jim Ellefson, even though I have to study my ass off this summer before hand. I don’t care. I told Ellefson I would do whatever it took to be able to continue my study of poetry. For the past couple of years, I have dreamt of turning my chicken scratch into something more. I think for a capstone project, I’d like to consider putting together a collection of poems that I could send off for publication.
I’m Life’s plaything. She seems to get quite a thrill out of bitch slapping me. Everyone else seems to get a laugh too. Hell, I even get a laugh out of it…now. When I look back over the past four years, I realize I’ve been through a lot of shit that would probably make an amusing short collection of personal essays, especially with my most recent endeavor…falling down a flight of stairs. Ha, you should see the reactions I get when I tell people. Initial impression? Shock. No, I wasn’t drunk. No, I wasn’t pushed. And no, my boyfriend did not hit me. I promise. It was sheer clumsiness on my part and lead to quite a nasty tumble. Luckily for me I’m a veteran on crutches, eh? I’m becoming a regular at the hospital and doctor’s office now. I swear, they’re going to get to a point where they know me by face. Well, for a couple of weeks, Tim and I bantered through a serious of emails. I liked them. I feel they like they could possibly turn out to be an interesting piece…especially when I include bubble-wrap suits and giant hamster balls.
What would I love to spend the next three months learning and writing about? Come on, Tim, I think we all know the answer to that question. I’ve known it since I was seven. I would love to spend three months writing about Egypt, especially Ancient Egypt. I’ve lost touch with my inner Egyptian over the last couple of years, but I want to rekindle the spark I once felt when looking, touching, and reading about the culture that had become so dear to me. I want to renew the intense feelings of passion I have spending hours in a darkened room, pouring over the pages portraying papyrus sheets filled with ancient spells and tales of love, loss, power, triumph, courage, murder, sorrow, joy, mysterious, and wonder. I have never been able to explain the waves of emotions that run through me when I surround myself with whispering words of the ancient pharaohs, other than it feels like…pure magic. I think perhaps if I spend three months renewing my relationship with Egypt, perhaps I can find the long-sought answers to my many questions. Someday, I WILL end up questioning the sphinx, climbing the pyramids, and walking with the pharaohs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey girl,
ReplyDeleteI've had you in class. I've read some of your poems. When I think of Tara Campbell, I think of Rock 'n Roll Therapy. It would be a tragedy if you didn't take the Capstone as an opportunity to put together a compilation of your poetry.
As far as resources go, I remember a handy little book I took a look at in Jim's class freshmen year, "The Poet's Companion." Don't have it? Find it. It was a fun little read and really informative about poetry without being too preachy.
Chase Jim down. He's every ego's fantasy man. If you even doubt for a second that this is the Capstone for you, you sit down and talk to him and he'll restore all your faith. Hell, talk to Tim and Warren, too. Talk to your mother. Talk to everyone who will listen, read them a poem, and you'll see how possible it is to accomplish this dream. It's in your blood, Sister, now you just need it on the page.
I think the best advice I can give you is to read, read, read. We made the anthologies for Jim, so you know what's out there. Subscribe to some poetry sites, add it to your Stumbleupon, do whatever. Read a poem a day and I bet you'll feel more inspired (not that you don't already, but just in case you hit any dreaded writer's block).
Hopes this helps, Poetry Sister. Whatever you decide, I know it's going to be spectacular.
xoxo